Anloga District Commander support Fuveme tidal wave victims with GHS10,000 

By Evans Worlanyo Ameamu

Anloga (V/R), May 22, GNA-Superintendent of Police, Mr Benjamin Samami, the Anloga District Police Commander, in the Volta Region, has donated GHS10,000 to the victims of the recent tidal waves that devastated Fuveme in the District. 

The gesture was made after the commander, and his team visited the affected community and witnessed the extent of destruction caused by the sea surge. 

Mr Samani, in an interview with the Ghana News Agency, after the support, explained that the gesture was born out of genuineness to support the community which has suffered from many forms of challenges due to the devastations caused by the natural disaster. 

“I am not from this area, nor have any family member or friend at Fuveme, but what l saw was heartbreaking, the tidal waves had badly affected the area and left many residents in distress. When l see the little children suffering from something, which is not their fault, the destruction moved me deeply and compelled me to act in a practical way,” he said. 

Mr Samani further explained that the donation was inspired strongly by a message he had long heard from Prophet Adom Kyei Dua, the Founder and the Leader of Second Chance TV and Radio to give cheerfully to help others who are in need. 

He said that the Prophet Adom Kyei Dua himself has previously supported over 2000 people at Mepe in the Central Tongu District of the Volta Region, who were displaced after the Akosombo Dam spillage as well as fire victims at Kumasi Kejetia market some few years ago, which taught the whole world to be generous, self-belief and trust in God. 

He stated that those words kept ringing in his ears after the incident, which pushed him to do something meaningful for the victims from the little he had to enable alleviate the plight and challenges of the vulnerable. 

“For me, I just want to support, it is from my clean heart, the situation our people find themselves in is very challenging, it could be me or anyone else tomorrow. This is the time to show love to our own. 

It is not that l have in abundance; you don’t need to have plenty of properties before you can help others. My support is not to attract praise or reward, but rather to show compassion and encourage others in positions of responsibility to help communities in need.” 

He said that the donation was made wholeheartedly and with no expectation and added that such incidents should remind people to support one another in difficult times. 

He said the victims were facing severe hardship which called for immediate assistance while government and other institutions worked on longer-term interventions and expressed confidence that the authorities would step in to provide further support to the affected people. 

Madam Sandra Seyram Kpedor, the Anloga District Chief Executive (DCE), who received the donation on behalf of the community, thanked the Mr Samani for the timely and king gesture which would go a long way to help the victims. 

She promised that the donation would be utilised well for the benefit of the people in the community, especially for families who were struggling to cope with the aftermath of the disaster, with the move adding to the growing appeals for both public and private support for the victims of the tidal waves. 

Mr Eric Adzorlolo, a resident of the area, who spoke to the GNA, described the support from the Police Commander as one in a millions, adding that,” I do not hear this kind of generosity from a police officer before, God will bless him.” 

He appealed to Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr Christian Tettteh Yohuno, to as a matter of urgency, promote the officer to a higher rank for benevolent gesture exhibited to save humanity. 

Affected residents have repeatedly called for a durable sea defence wall rather than temporary relief items, while the recurring waves continue to worsen their living conditions, with community leaders warning that several communities along the coast remain vulnerable without urgent protective infrastructure. 

GNA further gathered that the Anloga District has in recent years suffered repeated tidal wave attacks, with communities such as Fuveme, Agorkedzi, Atiteti and Dzita among the hardest hit, with statistics showing that the destruction has displaced many families and destroyed homes and property worth thousands of Ghana cedis. 

For many residents, the latest destruction is another painful reminder of the long-running coastal erosion problem facing the Volta Region, and as the community waits for stronger intervention from the government, the call for solidarity and sustained support remains urgent. 

Meanwhile, President John Dramani, and other officials have earlier visited the Fuveme community and promised proper intervention methods to prevent further disasters. 

GNA 

Edited by: Maxwell Awumah/Kenneth Odeng Adade