By Samira Larbie, GNA
Accra, May 22, GNA – Ghana has recorded no Ebola infections and the national risk level remains low, Mr Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, Health Minister, has assured the public.
He urged citizens to remain vigilant and report suspected symptoms promptly to the nearest health facility, while observing all recommended preventive measures.
Addressing the nation, Mr Akandoh said the Ministry of Health had within the past week issued two public notices on Ebola following the World Health Organization’s declaration of the disease as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
He explained that Ebola was a viral disease transmitted through direct contact with blood, body fluids, secretions and contaminated materials or surfaces.
“People experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea or unexplained bleeding should immediately report to the nearest health facility,” he stated.
The Minister said no Ebola case had been recorded in West Africa, including Ghana, and reiterated that the current risk level in the country remained low.
“Presently, the risk is low in Ghana,” he noted, adding that government was taking all necessary measures to safeguard the population.
Mr Akandoh said prevention remained the best defence against the disease and advised the public to maintain proper hand hygiene by frequently washing hands with soap under running water or using alcohol-based hand sanitisers.
He also appealed to organisers of public events and mass gatherings to provide adequate handwashing stations and sanitisers to help prevent the possible spread of infectious diseases.
The Minister reiterated government’s commitment to protecting public health and urged citizens to cooperate with health authorities by adhering to all safety protocols.
GNA
Edited by Kenneth Sackey
Reporter: Samira Larbie
[email protected]