By Regina Benneh
Drobo, (Bono), May 22, GNA- The Bono Regional Police Command is investigating the chieftaincy clash that led to the destruction of properties at the Drobo palace in the Jaman South Municipality of the region.
According to a statement issued and signed by Chief Inspector Thomas Akeelah, the Public Relations Officer of the Bono regional police administration, the clash erupted between feuding factions aligned to the Paramount Chief and the Paramount Queen-mother of the Drobo Traditional Area.
It explained that Nana Tanor Bediako, the Krontrihene (sub-chief) of the Drobo Traditional Area, accompanied by two other persons lodged a complaint at the Drobo Police station on May 19, 2026 around 0930.
A copy of the statement made available to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Sunyani explained that the complainant told the police that around 0910 hours, a group of about 15 men clad with red bands on their heads besieged the Drobo palace.
“The group allegedly caused damage to the main door of the palace and attempted to take possession of the premises”, it stated, saying that some personnel of the police proceeded to the palace and found a group of people gathered at the forecourt.
It said that the police retrieved three pump-action guns loaded with 14 rounds of BB ammunition and a single-barrel gun from “some persons described as Omanhene’s people”.
Preliminary investigations indicated that: “The disturbance stemmed from a chieftaincy dispute within the Drobo Traditional Council”, it stated, saying that: “Members of the Bosea family, aligned to the Drobo Queen Mother, said they received information that the Omanhene is preparing to install sub-chiefs”.
The statement said that: “Their presence at the palace was intended to prevent the installation from proceeding, however confronted by supporters of the Omanhene, leading to a clash at the forecourt of the palace”.
According to the statement the Bosea family alleged that they had already secured an injunction from the Bono Regional House of Chiefs against the Omanhene’s decision, adding that: “they claimed the Omanhene is evading service of the injunction and had gone into hiding”.
It said the clash had since heightened tension in the area and assured that efforts were underway to identify and apprehend the culprits.
The statement said calm had since been restored and urged the feuding factions to channel their grievances through laid down procedures for redress instead of resorting to violence.
It warned that the police would deal with anyone who engaged in the acts of lawlessness and behaviours that threatened the prevailing peace of the area.
GNA
Edited by Dennis Peprah/Kenneth Odeng Adade
Reporter: Regina Benneh
[email protected]