By Philip Tengzu
Poyentanga, (UW/R), May 22, GNA – Victims of a demolition exercise at Poyentanga in the Wa West District for the proposed 24-Hour Economy Market have appealed to the government to provide immediate compensation and relocation support to enable them cope with the impact of the demolition.
Speaking to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) at Poyentanga, Mr George Kanchuan, a victim, said over 100 people from 13 families had been rendered homeless due to the demolition of their homes on Monday, 18th May, 2026 and Tuesday, 19th May, 2026.
He indicated that they were not opposed to the government’s 24-Hour Economy Market project, describing it as an important initiative for jobs, trade and development, but that to render them homeless without any compensation was unfair.
“We are not against development, but we strongly believe that development must be fair, humane and full of proper processes, especially where homes and livelihoods are affected”, he said.
During a visit to the community, the GNA observed that several children from the affected families were at home during schooling hours, which Mr Kanchuan said was a result of the impact of the demolition of their homes and shops.
Also, some women were spotted packing their belongings out of their rooms while some men were also removing roofing sheets, doors and other removable parts of their structures in anticipation of the demolition exercise.
Mr Kanchuan explained that the affected residents had engaged the contractor and relevant authorities and had petitioned the District Assembly and other stakeholders over the matter, but to no avail.
He said their major concern was immediate compensation for homeowners, traders and small business operators whose livelihoods and places of abode had been destroyed.
Mr Kanchuan also disputed claims that the area was public land, insisting that many of the families had occupied the area peacefully for decades under customary arrangements recognised by the opinion leaders in the community.
Madam Dora Anuba, one of the affected residents, told the GNA that the demolition had severely affected her family and business.
The mother of three said her business was the main source of income, which she used to cater for her children’s education and health needs.
She explained that her structure had been demolished, forcing her to cohabitate temporarily with a neighbour.
Madam Anuba appealed to authorities to “have mercy on us, attend to us, listen to our crying so that our children too can also go to school.”
Mr Fidelis Lanayere, another victim, said his family had lived in the area for decades and that the short notice given to residents had made it difficult for them to cope with the situation.
He appealed to authorities to provide land or temporary accommodation support to affected households to enable them to relocate and rebuild their lives.
Meanwhile, Mr Richard Wullo, the Wa West District Chief Executive, told the GNA that a meeting had been scheduled to further engage the affected people to address their concerns.
GNA
Edited by Kenneth Odeng Adade
Reporter: Philip Tengzu, GNA
Email: [email protected]