Berlin, Nov 23, (dpa/GNA) – German Football Federation (DFB) sporting director, Rudi Völler, says Karim Adeyemi won’t face any consequences regarding a potential participation at the 2026 World Cup, for the attempted illegal possession of weapons.
“He has earned more than a second chance. This is a decent guy, who made a mistake,” Völler told the Bild Sport show on Sunday.
Germany international Adeyemi recently revealed he ordered a so-called “mystery box” on the internet at the start of 2024, which he said he did not know contained items that are not permitted “under weapons laws.”
Many months later the package was delivered, and it ended up unopened with the police. He received a court fine for the attempted illegal possession of weapons.
“Of course, he knew that it wasn’t like a surprise egg with a little car inside. He knew that, but he was absolutely certain that there was nothing illicit or illegal inside, and that’s entirely credible,’ Völler assured.
Borussia Dortmund had already said their player would face no sporting consequences at the club.
In coordination between the club and the DFB, the 23-year-old will take part in a social project in Dortmund, and hold joint training sessions with children as a sanction.
GNA