Accra, May 20, GNA – Mr Kwadwo Owusu Bempah, a former Operations Manager of Akonta Mining Limited, has told an Accra High Court that Bernard Antwi Boasiako, also known as Wontumi, never entered the Nimri Forest Reserve.
Mr Bempah said under cross-examination that he did not witness any transfer of gold between Mr Boasiako, Akonta Mining Limited and any Chinese nationals during his period with the company.
Testifying during the ongoing trial involving Mr Boasiako and Akonta Mining Limited, Mr Bempah, the second prosecution witness, said although some Chinese informed him that they had transferred gold to Mr Boasiako, he never witnessed such transactions.
Answering questions from Mr Andy Appiah-Kubi, counsel for Mr Boasiako, the witness said he was not privy to any partnership between Akonta Mining and any Chinese nationals.
Mr Bempah said he became aware of a relationship between Mr Boasiako and some Chinese nationals between 2021 and 2022 and only acted as an interpreter for them during meetings held at their request.
The witness told the court that Mr Boasiako once called him on phone and said he had been granted permission to enter the Nimri Forest Reserve.
He said he never sighted any company resolution authorising further instructions regarding activities in the reserve and only knew Mr Boasiako as one of the directors of Akonta Mining.
Mr Bempah stated that he never had any confrontation with security personnel and was informed by another director, Edward Akuoku, about a meeting involving officials from some institutions at the entrance of the forest reserve.
The witness admitted visiting the Nimri Forest Reserve but said he neither saw illegal miners nor became aware of any illegal mining activities there.
Mr Bempah further admitted that he was initially an accused person in the matter but later became a prosecution witness after advice from his lawyer and discussions at the Attorney-General’s Department.
He acknowledged signing an agreement not to be prosecuted and said his witness statement was written, read and explained to him in the presence of his lawyer.
Mr Boasiako and Akonta Mining Limited are facing charges of undertaking mining activities without authorisation in the Nimri Forest Reserve, felling merchantable trees and putting up structures without written approval.
The accused persons have denied the charges and are on bail. The case has been adjourned to May 26, 2026.
GNA
Edited by Kenneth Sackey
Reporter:Joyce Danso
[email protected]