Accra, May 20, GNA – Bernard Antwi Boasiako, also known as Wontumi, is expected to open his defence in the ongoing Samreboi illegal mining trial.
The development follows the absence of the next defence witness, who is said to be outside the jurisdiction, while the witness statement is yet to be filed for Case Management Conference.
Mr Andy Appiah-Kubi, counsel for Mr Boasiako, informed the court that the defence witness was unavailable and indicated that he had anticipated two days for the evidence-in-chief and cross-examination of Mr George Mireku Duker, a former Deputy Minister of Lands and Natural Resources.
However, after Mr Duker tendered his witness statement, the prosecution, led by Dr Justice Srem-Sai, Deputy Attorney-General, concluded cross-examination on the same day.
Mr Duker told the court that he appeared as a former Deputy Minister and representative of the people of Tarkwa-Nsuaem and was knowledgeable in mining administration and regulation.
The witness, who is also a lawyer and PhD student, said he knew Mr Boasiako as the Ashanti Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party but was not “a direct friend.”
Mr Duker said he knew Mr Boasiako as a businessman who invested considerable resources in acquiring a mining lease “so he would not invade the forest.”
He told the court that he could vouch for the acquisition of the mining lease from the Ministry but not for operations undertaken at the concession.
“During my tenure, if my memory serves me right the operational license and ratification by Parliament had been secured so I cannot vouch for the mining operations.
“I am aware that this case in which I am testifying boarders on illegal mining and a letter purporting to be reporting illegal mining on such a concession.”
Mr Duker said reports of illegal mining activities at the concession were referred to the Regional Coordinating Council for security agencies to act against illegal miners who had allegedly invaded the area.
According to him, some of the illegal miners were arrested and paraded.
“Illegal mining activities are still going on in the enclave. If a drone is flown now you will see that evidence,” he told the court.
The witness stated that illegal mining remained a major concern during his tenure at the Ministry and explained that ministerial approval could be granted for legitimate mining operations, transfers and mortgages upon formal application to the Sector Minister.
Mr Duker said he was unaware of any litigation involving Akonta Mining and Samartex Timber and Plywood and could not read a court document shown to him in court.
He admitted visiting an enclave at Samreboi following reports of illegal mining activities.
“That day we went with a helicopter and gladly we came back home safely.”
The former Deputy Minister denied knowing one Henry Okum, said to have worked with Akonta Mining Limited, and stated that he was unaware of any request by Mr Boasiako for Mr Okum to undertake reclamation works.
“Nothing of that sort came to me,” he said.
Mr Duker, however, recalled commending some concession holders for undertaking environmental reclamation and noted that an award scheme existed to promote best mining practices.
He said Mr Boasiako had informed him that he had not commenced mining operations but had instead invested in a coconut plantation on the concession.
Mr Boasiako and Akonta Mining Limited have denied charges relating to alleged unauthorised mining activities in a forest reserve and are currently on bail.
GNA
Edited by Kenneth Sackey
Reporter: Joyce Danso
[email protected]