By P. K. Yankey
Awiaso (W/R), May 20, GNA – The Royal Nvavile Family of the Awiaso Traditional Area has denied allegations that it masterminded the demolition of the National Democratic Congress [NDC] party office at Awiaso Junction.
In a statement issued to the Ghana News Agency, the family said it was “very sad” that Ellembelle NDC executives led by Mr. Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, Member of Parliament for Ellembelle; Mr. Joseph Armah Agyekum, District Chief Executive; and Mr. Alex Mahama, Constituency Chairman, would “pull down their own structure and then turn around to incriminate and intimidate the Royal Family of Nvavile at Awiaso.”
The statement said unidentified armed men wielding guns and machetes stormed the construction site in the midnight of May 7, 2026, and pulled down the structure meant for the NDC party office.
According to the statement the land was acquired by Mr. Armah-Kofi Buah from the late Chief of Awiaso, Nana Boadi, in 2017. After his demise, the current Chief, Nana Akpanyi Armoo, and Abusuakpanyinli Nana Ekeyeboe entered into an agreement with the NDC to lease the land for the project.
Under the agreement, the party was to employ youth of the town in the construction works, assist with building materials for the town’s new palace complex, and pay annual royalties to the royal family.
According to the statement, the family later requested that the Ellembelle NDC executives ensured the Paramount Chief of Awiaso Traditional Area, King Kaku Aka III, was gazetted as Overlord of Nzema by the National House of Chiefs. It said the party executives described the request as beyond their mandate.
It indicated that, Egya Annor Kwasi, spokesperson to King Kaku Aka III, speaking on behalf of Abusuakpanyinli Nana Ekeyeboe, alleged that many NDC members did not support the commencement of development on the land, which he said was initially started as a personal project by Mr. Armah-Kofi Buah.
The statement alleged that when the project faced resistance from the royal family, it was verbally transferred to the party, leading to “chaos among party members in Ellembelle.”
It further alleged that the demolition could have been carried out by the NDC itself, noting that the site was enclosed, gated with heavy security locks, and guarded by armed security personnel.
It said on the night of the incident, a vehicle full of soldiers allegedly surrounded Awiaso township to “beat, arrest and prosecute” residents, a plan he said had been echoed previously by Mr. Armah-Kofi Buah and Mr. Armah Agyekum.
The statement indicated that while some NDC executives claimed the land was acquired for free, others, including the DCE, said Mr. Armah-Kofi Buah bought two plots of land in 2017 from the late Nana Boadi at a cost of GH₵40,000 which the family disputed the claim, stating that Nana Boadi died in 2013 and that “no Nzema land was bought to the tune of that amount.”
It added that the MP was aware the land was in court with his sister and husband but that the case was later withdrawn due to lack of requisite documents. The family said the group of Mr. Armah-Kofi Buah, his wife, and brother-in-law presented fake documents to the family, which were rejected.
It said the party executives attempted to woo some family members with meals, gifts in the form of money, and promises of various kinds.
It therefore called on the party executives to desist from “lies, gross disrespect and discrimination,” warning that failure to do so could lead to the disintegration of the party in the constituency.
GNA
Edited by Justina Hilda Paaga/Kenneth Odeng Adade