Northern Regional Police Command intensifies anti-drug operations, arrests 217 suspects

By Solomon Gumah, GNA 

Tamale, April 08, GNA – The Northern Regional Police Command has intensified its response against illicit drug peddling and related criminal activities leading to the arrest of 217 suspects within the past one month under a special operation code-named “Red Maria.” 

The operation, spearheaded by the Regional Special Operations Team, was established to sustain gains made by the Inspector-General of Police’s Special Operations Team following its redeployment from Tamale. 

A press statement issued by the Command and signed by DCOP Mr Wisdom Lavoe, Northern Regional Police Commander, said the initiative was aimed at strengthening efforts to combat drug abuse, illicit trafficking, and other associated crimes, especially within the Tamale Metropolis. 

It said the team had conducted series of intelligence-led swoops in known drug hotspots including Taxi Rank, Aboabo, Nobisco Forest, Savelugu, Nanton, and Nyankpala. 

The statement said the operations resulted in the arrest of suspects involved in the possession and use of illicit substances such as tramadol and Indian hemp as well as individuals engaged in prostitution and unlawful assembly. 

It said all 217 suspects had been processed for court for offences including drug possession, drug peddling, prostitution, and unlawful assembly. 

The statement indicated that out of the number, 40 persons had been convicted by the courts, receiving fines ranging between GH¢2,400 and GH¢120,000 while others were handed custodial sentences between 15 months and 15 years’ imprisonment. 

It added that 32 of the convicted persons had paid their fines while eight were currently serving prison sentences. 

The statement indicated that 31 accused persons remained on remand with the rest granted court bail pending trial. 

It revealed that a total of GH¢72,000 had so far been realised as fines paid to the courts. 

The statement commended the professionalism and dedication of the Red Maria Team, adding that their efforts had received widespread praise from stakeholders including traditional authorities, the Northern Regional Coordinating Council, civil society organisations, opinion leaders, and political actors. 

It specifically mentioned the support of the Overlord of Dagbon, the Yaa Naa, as well as other key stakeholders, for their endorsement of the operation. 

The statement acknowledged the role of the public in aiding Police efforts, citing an incident in which residents of Ward K in Tamale apprehended a suspected drug peddler and handed him over to the Police on April 2, 2026. 

The suspect, the statement, said, was expected to be arraigned before court. 

The Northern Regional Police Command reiterated its commitment to maintaining law and order and urged members of the public to continue providing credible and timely information to support ongoing operations. 

It called on residents to partner with the Police and reject all forms of criminal activities to help ensure a safer and more secure Northern Region. 

GNA 

Edited by Eric K. Amoh/Linda Asante Agyei 

08 April 2026 

NSOC014  

Social Chief EOCO 

Volta Chiefs condemn EOCO over alleged disregard for Court ruling in Kwamigah-Atokple case 

By Michael Foli Jackidy, GNA 

Ho (V/R), April 8, GNA – The Volta Regional House of Chiefs has expressed deep concern over recent developments involving the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) in relation to the Volta Region’s representative on the Council of State, Gabriel Tanko Kwamigah-Atokple. 

In a press statement signed by its President, Togbe Tepre Hodo IV, the House criticised the way EOCO has handled the matter, describing it as troubling and inconsistent with the principles of constitutional governance. 

The House acknowledged a ruling by the High Court of Ghana, which found that EOCO had acted without lawful mandate and in breach of constitutional provisions on fairness in its handling of the case. According to the statement, the court’s decision was “clear and unequivocal.” 

The Chiefs also noted allegations by Dr Kwamigah-Atokple that, despite the court’s ruling, EOCO has continued its actions in a manner that appears to challenge and undermine the authority of the judiciary, including maintaining its investigation and publicly questioning the judgment. 

The House stressed that such conduct is unacceptable in a constitutional democracy governed by the rule of law. 

It stated that if EOCO was dissatisfied with the court’s decision, the appropriate and lawful step would have been to pursue an appeal through the judicial process. 

Any action perceived to disregard the authority of the court, it noted, undermines the administration of justice and erodes public confidence in the legal system. 

“The decisions of our courts must be respected under all circumstances. No institution or public office, regardless of its mandate, is above the law,” the statement emphasised. 

The House therefore strongly condemned EOCO’s posture in the matter, describing it as a serious affront to administrative justice and Ghana’s constitutional order. 

It called on EOCO to exercise restraint and demonstrate full respect for judicial authority and the rule of law, reaffirming its commitment to upholding justice, due process, and the integrity of the country’s democratic institutions. 

GNA 

Edited By: Maxwell Awumah/Kenneth Odeng Adade