By Morkporkpor Anku
Accra, March 31, GNA – Dr Gabriel Tanko Kwamigah-Atokple, Volta Regional Representative on the Council of State, has challenged a declaration by the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) naming him as a wanted person.
He described the move as unlawful and contrary to a High Court ruling.
He said an Adentan High Court, on March 19, 2026, ruled that EOCO acted without mandate in its attempt to investigate him.
In a statement issued to the Ghana News Agency on Tuesday, Dr Kwamigah-Atokple explained that the matter stemmed from a dispute between JG Resources Ltd and Sesi-Edem Company Limited, a firm he founded.
He said the Court held that EOCO’s actions violated constitutional principles of fairness and ordered the de-freezing of accounts frozen during the investigation.
Dr Kwamigah-Atokple accused EOCO of disregarding the authority of the Court by continuing its investigations despite the ruling, describing the move as bordering on contempt.
He explained that the dispute arose from a commercial agreement between Sesi-Edem Company Limited and JG Resources Ltd for the supply of gold between June 2025 and June 2026.
According to him, the complainant admitted that about 58 per cent of the gold had been delivered by November 2025.
“EOCO had also acknowledged before the Court that the contractual deadline had not expired at the time of the complaint,” he said.
He argued that there was no legal basis to classify the outstanding quantity as fraudulent.
Dr Kwamigah-Atokple further said claims that the transaction was unlicensed had been disproved in court, noting that Sesi-Edem Company Ltd held valid licences and approvals from the Precious Minerals Marketing Company, the Minister responsible for Mines, and the Ghana Gold Board.
He maintained that the Court determined the matter to be a civil contractual issue rather than a criminal case.
Dr Kwamigah-Atokple rejected claims that he had failed to cooperate with EOCO, stating that the company complied with all requests, including submitting documents and appearing before investigators.
He said the company’s managing director attended EOCO in December 2025 and provided statements as required, describing the “wanted” declaration as an attempt to damage his reputation.
He called on EOCO to respect the Court’s ruling and cease what he described as the use of the media to pursue matters already determined by the judiciary.
Dr Kwamigah-Atokple demanded a public apology and withdrawal of the statement within 12 hours, adding that he would take further legal action to protect his reputation and uphold the authority of the Court if the demand was not met.
GNA
Edited by Agnes Boye-Doe