Geneva, Jan 5, (dpa/GNA) – Swiss authorities have now identified all the injured survivors of the New Year’s Eve fire disaster, in the ski resort of Crans-Montana, and have slightly revised the number of those affected downwards.
The police for the region of Valais said on Monday there were 116 survivors, 83 of whom are being treated in hospital.
After the fire in a bar, there was initially talk of a total of 40 dead and 119 injured. It has since been revealed by the police that three patients were mistakenly associated with the inferno on New Year’s Eve.
Among the injured are 68 people from Switzerland, 21 from France, 10 from Italy and four from Serbia.
The identification of the dead was completed on Sunday. More than half were Swiss. Some individuals from neighbouring countries France and Italy also died, as well as a few people from other European countries.
Most of the victims were young people, including many teenagers.
A day of mourning is due to be held in Switzerland on Friday.
According to current investigations, the inferno was triggered by a party sparkler that set fire to foam on the ceiling.
The two operators of the bar are being investigated for negligent homicide.
Swiss ski resorts to review fire safety after inferno
Swiss politicians plan to step up enforcement of fire safety regulations across prominent winter sports hubs in the country, following the fire in Crans-Montana.
Local politicians in Adelboden and Lauterbrunnen on Monday told Swiss radio station SRF ahead of the ski World Cup races this weekend, that they will be holding catering establishments accountable for ensuring the safety of fans.
In France, the Paris police prefect announced in a letter to gastronomy associations that inspections would soon be conducted in bars and clubs in the capital, according to French media. Compliance with fire safety regulations should thus be ensured. Among the dead and injured were also people from France.
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš also announced fire safety inspections of similar establishments in his country. Among the injured from Crans-Montana was a Czech woman.
Voluntary agreement not to use pyrotechnics indoors
Swiss President Guy Parmelin, referred on SRF television to reports that many local operators in Switzerland had already decided to refrain from using pyrotechnics indoors in future.
The government does not need to impose an official ban, but he believes that “the necessary lessons will be learned at the appropriate time,” said the politician from the right-wing populist Swiss People’s Party (SVP).
In Adelboden, the premises are to be inspected before the giant slalom and slalom races on January 10 and 11, president of the municipal council, Willy Schranz, said.
The aim is to check “whether everything is in order here so that something like this cannot happen,” he said.
From January 16-18, World Cup races will take place in Wengen in the municipality of Lauterbrunnen.
Restaurant owners should check whether escape routes are clear and whether unauthorized flammable materials have been used in their premises, said municipal council president, Karl Näpflin.
GNA