Slovakia blocks agreement on new EU sanctions on Russia

Brussels, Jun. 26, (dpa/GNA) – Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico said Thursday at a European Union summit in Brussels that he is not ready to back a proposal for new sanctions on Russia, citing concerns over Slovakia’s gas imports.

The proposed 18th sanctions package, put forward by the European Commission, targets Russia’s financial and energy sectors in response to President Vladimir Putin’s refusal to agree to an unconditional ceasefire in Ukraine.

Ahead of the EU summit, Fico had already threatened to veto the sanctions as he fears repercussions from a separate energy bill. Slovakia objects to the plans by Brussels to completely stop gas-supply contracts with Russia from the start of 2028.

A meeting with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to resolve the issue was “very constructive and pragmatic,” Fico said in a video message posted on X, but did not find a solution.

Fico fears supply and legal problems. Slovakia has a supply contract with Russia’s Gazprom which is valid until 2034. The European Commission wants to terminate the contract on the grounds of “force majeure.”

However, Fico had warned that this justification would not hold up in an international court of arbitration, meaning that Slovakia would then be stuck with billions in fines.

“This will harm us unless an agreement is reached with the European Commission that would compensate us for all the damage this proposal might cause,” he said.

“This issue must be resolved first. Let’s define the solution, and only then can we discuss further sanction packages,” Fico added.

The premier also announced that representatives from the commission will visit Slovakia next week in an attempt to find a solution.

Slovakia, an EU and NATO member state bordering Ukraine, is more dependent on Russian raw materials than almost any other country in Europe.

GNA

PDC