GOC backs new Ghana Taekwondo leadership’s development agenda

By Simon Asare, GNA  

Accra, Aug. 19, GNA – The Ghana Olympic Committee (GOC) has pledged its support to the newly elected leadership of the Ghana Taekwondo Federation (GTF) as the federation seeks to expand the sport and strengthen athlete development across the country. 

The assurance was given when the new GTF executive board, led by President Mr Frederick Lartey Otu, paid a courtesy call on GOC officials in Accra to present its vision for the next four years. 

The delegation was received by GOC President Mr Richard Akpokavie, Second Vice President Mr Ernest Danso and General Secretary Mohammed Kassim Muniru. 

Mr Akpokavie congratulated the federation on what he described as a peaceful and transparent electoral process, saying democratic governance was vital to building confidence among stakeholders and corporate partners. 

“It helps to boost confidence in the federations and the GOC so that when we go to the corporate world, they also realise that we are serious people,” he said. 

He reaffirmed the GOC’s commitment to supporting the federation and urged the new leadership to work closely with the Olympic body to improve athlete performance and increase Ghana’s competitiveness at major international events. 

Mr Akpokavie highlighted upcoming competitions, including the African Games, Youth Olympic Games, African School Games and the Olympic Games, and called for stronger collaboration to achieve the country’s sporting objectives. 

He also encouraged the federation to strengthen female representation within its structures through co-option and mentorship opportunities as part of the GOC’s efforts to promote gender inclusion in sports administration. 

Mr Otu, in his response said the federation’s priority over the next four years would be grassroots development and talent identification, citing concerns about the aging profile of many current athletes. 

“Our vision for the next four years is to develop the sport from the grassroots. We have noticed that our athletes are aging,” he said. 

He announced plans to launch an awareness campaign in Kumasi next month aimed at introducing the sport to schoolchildren across the Ashanti Region. 

According to him, the programme would be expanded to five regions before the end of the year, particularly in areas that have had limited access to taekwondo activities in recent years. 

Mr Otu said the federation would also begin structured talent identification programmes next year to build a sustainable pipeline of athletes for national and international competitions. 

During a separate courtesy call on the National Sports Authority (NSA), the GTF President said the federation’s electoral outcome had been recognised by the international governing body and expressed readiness to work with the NSA to advance the sport. 

Mr Yaw Ampofo-Ankrah, Director General of the NSA, pledged support for the GTF leadership especially with their upcoming grassroot sensitisation drive of the sport in various regions and would be available to offer their support. 

The GTF delegation who undertook these visits included Vice President Maxwell Theodore Alornyo, Secretary General Kankpenuba P.N. Wisdom, Technical Director Simon Gluikpor and board member Hannah Akua Humphrey. 

GNA  

Edited by Kenneth Odeng Adade 

Reporter: Simon Asare 
[email protected] 

escortwex.com https://milliol.com HD sex HD порно xxx video birkerhane.com batumifox.org escortfox.mobi Dubai Escorts nusaybin.mobi Mardin Escort nusaybin.mobi