Madrid, May 19, (dpa/GNA) – The son of the founder of the globally successful Spanish fashion group Mango, has been arrested as a suspect in his father’s death.
Isak Andic fell to his death on December 14, 2024, during a family outing in the Montserrat mountains, approximately 40 kilometres north-west of Barcelona. He was 71 years old at the time.
His son, Jonathan Andic has now been taken into custody in Barcelona, the state broadcaster RTVE and other media outlets reported on Tuesday, citing sources close to the investigation.
A police spokesman confirmed the arrest when asked. The Mango founder’s death was initially assumed to be an accident. However, as the investigation progressed, doubts arose, and the founder’s son eventually became the focus of the inquiry. According to the findings so far by the Catalan police force Mossos d’Esquadra, Jonathan Andic was the only person accompanying the Mango founder when he fell some 150 metres to his death.
The police reportedly found contradictions in his statement. Isak Andic’s partner, professional golfer EstefanÃa Knuth, is said to have spoken of a poor relationship between father and son. The 44-year-old is now accused of manslaughter, RTVE reported.
The suspect appeared before an investigating judge in Barcelona on Tuesday. Following the hearing, the judge ordered him to be placed in pre-trial detention, which may be suspended if bail of €1 million ($1.2 million) is posted. It was not immediately clear whether the suspect intends to pay the bail. If released, he would be required to surrender his passport, remain in Spain, and report to the court once a week.
Family representatives told the Europa Press news agency that Jonathan Andic had made an initial statement on Tuesday morning. They added that no further details could be provided due to the confidentiality of the proceedings. However, they said they were working closely with the authorities.
GNA