One shot dead, six in critical condition in Sefwi Asawinso galamsey clash 

By Daniel Akwasi Nuako  

Sefwi Asawinso (WN/R), May 20, GNA – A violent clash at an illegal mining (galamsey) site at Asawinso “A” in the Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai Municipality of the Western North Region has left one person shot dead and six others critically injured.  

Kwame Ayisie, 36, was confirmed dead, while the injured persons were receiving treatment at Sefwi Anhwiaso Community Hospital following a shooting incident involving suspected illegal miners at the site.  

The incident occurred on Monday, May 17, 2026, when Nana Kwasi Ayim III, the Chief of Sefwi Asawinso “A”, together with some youth from the community visited the Afao Hill Forest Reserve, where illegal mining activities were said to be taking place. 

According to Nana Ayim lll, they went to the forest enclave to assess the extent of destruction caused by the illegal miners in the forest reserve.  

He explained that a few weeks before the incident, Ogyeahoho Yaw Gyebi II, the Paramount Chief of Sefwi Anhwiaso Traditional Area, had invited him to his Palace to question him why he had allowed galamsey activities in his community. 

He said: “I went there to engage the illegal miners in a peaceful discussion and appealed to them to stop the illegal mining activities, but while we were returning from the site, were ambushed by heavily built men believed to be connected to the illegal miners.” 

Nana Ayim lll said the attackers opened fire on them, leaving several people seriously injured. 

Mr Frank Nelson Ackah, the Assembly Member for the Asawinso “A” Electoral Area, also confirmed the incident and said the chief and the youth had only gone to inspect the level of destruction caused by the illegal miners for further action.   

He noted that tension has been growing in the community following the unprovoked attack on the chief and his team, particularly after the untimely death of Kwame Ayisie, who left behind a wife and four children. 

A delegation led by Mr Sebastian Obeng, the Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) for Bibiani-Anhwiaso-Bekwai, the Western North Regional Police Command, and a representative from the Anhwiaso Traditional Council had since visited the chief and other victims at Anhwiaso Community Hospital, and the bereaved family to console them. 

The delegation assured the family members that the perpetrators would be brought to book as a deterrent to others. 

They also confirmed that one suspect had been arrested and that investigations were underway to trace the whereabouts of the others. 

The Ghana News Agency’s investigations have revealed that some chiefs and residents who were willing to report galamsey activities in their communities were living in fear following the attack on the Asawinso chief. 

Reports showed that Sefwi Chine, Ntakam, Aboabo, Asawinso, and Nketiaso are among the areas most prone to galamsey activities.  

They have, therefore, appealed to the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) to deploy its officers to those areas to help fight the galamsey canker.  

GNA 

Edited by Justina Hilda Paaga/Kenneth Odeng Adade