Big Push: Drivers plying Wa-Sawla-Bole highway doubt project completion within schedule 

By Philip Tengzu/Freda Mwini

Wa, (UW/R), May 24, GNA – Some commercial drivers plying the Wa-Sawla-Bole highway have expressed doubt about the completion of the Wa-Sawla-Bole road reconstruction within the scheduled period, citing slow pace of work on the stretch. 

The drivers said though the government had assured the public that the project would be executed concurrently by multiple contractors for completion within two years, work on the ground appeared limited to only a few sections. 

The concerns come amid increasing risks associated with the deplorable condition of that road, which continued to pose danger to motorists, passengers and vehicles plying that route. 

Speaking in an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA), a commercial driver, Mr Issahaku Mohammad, explained that the poor nature of the road had led to frequent vehicle breakdowns. 

He added that they also incurred avoidable costs of maintaining their vehicle due to the destruction of tyres and suspension systems. 

Mr Mohammed, popularly known as “Obidi”, said the current pace of work on that stretch did not reflect the assurances by the President that the project would be completed within two years. 

He, however, acknowledged that some improvements had been seen, including widening portions of the road, but said the overall progress remained slow. 

Mr Mohammad added that the bad state of the road had contributed to armed robbery attacks along that route because the vehicles were often forced to slow down on damaged portions. 

“The bad nature of the road endangers human lives and also damages our vehicles regularly. The passengers are always afraid when travelling, especially at night”, he said. 

Madam Ayishatu Issah, a trader, lamented that the Wa-Sawla-Bole had seen little construction activity, raising anxiety among the road users. 

They, therefore, appealed to the government to put in measures, including engaging foreign contractors alongside local firms, to speed up work on the project. 

Meanwhile, Mr Zimaa Kumbata, another driver, who plies the Hain-Tumu stretch, said passengers were now enjoying relatively smoother journeys compared to previous years when the road was heavily riddled with potholes. 

He, however, called on the government to intensify supervision of contractors to ensure quality work and timely completion of the project. 

The concerns by the drivers also follow public agitation over delays in the commencement of work on the Wa-Sawla-Bole Road project under the government’s Big Push Infrastructure Programme. 

Construction work on that stretch, particularly from Wa to Sawla, had stalled since the groundbreaking ceremony by President John Dramani Mahama in November 2025, despite the presence of heavy-duty equipment parked along that stretch. 

The situation prompted some youth in Wa to petition the Minister for Roads and Highways in early May 2026 over the delay in commencing work on the project, after which some works could be seen ongoing on that road. 

The petitioners expressed concern that the continued deterioration of the road was negatively affecting transportation, economic activities, and the safety of road users in the area. 

GNA 

Edited by Kenneth Odeng Adade 

Reporter: Philip Tengzu, GNA 

Email: [email protected]