Commercial water losses threaten GWL’s sustainability – Adam Mutawakilu

By James Amoh Junior

Accra, Sept. 29, GNA – Commercial water losses continue to undermine the financial stability and operational capacity of Ghana Water Limited (GWL), the company’s Managing Director, Mr. Adam Mutawakilu, has warned.

He cautioned that if left unchecked, commercial water losses could cripple GWL’s ability to meet rising urban demand, stressing that the company already spends heavily on electricity, treatment chemicals, and network maintenance.

Mr. Mutawakilu, speaking at a stakeholder engagement workshop in Accra on Monday, said illegal connections, meter bypasses, tampering, and non-payment for water had combined to cost the

utility millions of cedis in lost revenue, threatening its ability to expand infrastructure, maintain aging networks, and ensure reliable supply.

Mr Mutawakilu said, “Every drop of water lost to theft is a drop denied to a community. These practices not only rob GWL of revenue but also deny thousands of households, schools, and hospitals their fair share of safe, treated water.”

The workshop, with support from the World Bank and the Greater Accra Metropolitan Area (GAMA) Project, provided a platform for open dialogue among stakeholders as part of a broader strategy aimed at shaping policy interventions and operational reforms that can curb these losses.

It brought together regulators, assemblies, development partners, law enforcement agencies, customers, and the media.

Mr. Mutawakilu said since assuming office in February 2025, he had been confronted with major liabilities, including electricity and chemical costs, equipment procurement pressures, and a rising wage bill, all worsened by low revenue mobilisation.

To address these, he established the National Revenue Enhancement Teams (NRET) in July to identify hotspots of commercial losses and act decisively.

He explained that initial findings had already mapped out the scale, actors, and typology of illegal practices within GWL systems.

But given the complexity of the challenge, he stressed that GWL could not succeed alone and that “Coordinated cross-sector teamwork is essential. Sustainable water management is not the sole burden of GWL but a collective endeavour that requires the active participation of all stakeholders.”

The MD underscored the indispensable roles of regulators such as the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC) and the State Interests and Governance Authority (SIGA), as well as local assemblies, law enforcement, and the media.

He urged stronger oversight, tougher enforcement, and deeper collaboration to combat illegal practices.

Mr. Mutawakilu assured participants that the workshop would not be “another talk shop” but a turning point for action.

He pledged to document the outcomes and integrate them into GWL’s operational framework with clear timelines for implementation.

The MD promised stronger partnerships with regulators and law enforcement to enforce anti-water theft measures while promoting transparency and accountability.

“The goal is to ensure that every drop of water produced by GWL reaches its rightful user, is accounted for, and contributes to national development,” he added.

Mr. Mutawakilu reiterated that tackling water theft was essential for advancing the Government’s “Water for All” agenda and achieving Sustainable Development Goal Six on universal access to safe drinking water.

He thanked partners such as the World Bank for their continued support through projects like the Greater Accra Metropolitan Area Sanitation and Water Project.

The MD assured that, “As we confront the pressures of climate change, population growth, and aging infrastructure, we must act decisively…Together, we can build a stronger, more sustainable water sector for Ghana.”

Mr. Christopher Bofa, Marketing Manager at GWL Head Office, revealed that since enforcement operations began on August 11, 2025, the NRET had uncovered 109 customers engaged in illegal practices across districts in the Accra-Tema Metropolitan Area, including Accra East, Kaneshie-Awudome, Weija, Baatsona, Tema Central, Dome, Darkuman-Gbawe, Sowutuom, and Odorkor.

The infractions, ranging from meter bypasses to tampering and unauthorised connections, resulted in charges totalling GH¢4,409,017.81.

Out of this, GH¢760,631.71 had so far been recovered, with 24 customers making full payments and 43 opting for partial settlements while forty-two customers, however, had yet to make any commitments.

“These practices cause not only financial losses but also inequities in distribution, as some communities are denied access while a few benefit unfairly,” Mr. Bofa noted.

Adding a data-driven perspective, Prof. Emmanuel Donkor presented analytics on consumption in Accra East, showing that 58 per cent of active billable customers consumed between 20 and 60 cubic metres of water monthly, while 27 per cent consumed less than 20 cubic metres.

High-demand users above 60 cubic metres, mostly commercial and institutional accounts, account for 15 per cent.

To illustrate the scale of use, he explained that a household of four consumes about 1,000 litres every two weeks, or more than 40 “Kufuor gallons” per week.

He said such insights were critical for GWL’s planning, billing reforms, and public education campaigns.

GNA

Edited by Christian Akorlie