By Evans Worlanyo Ameamu
Keta (VR), Aug 22, GNA – Some residents in the Keta Municipality of the Volta Region have expressed gratitude to President John Dramani Mahama for establishing a support fund to aid the families of the victims of the August 6, 2025, helicopter crash.
The fund aims at providing comprehensive support to the children, covering their education from primary school to tertiary or technical training, healthcare, and welfare support.
Madam Stella Dzimedi, a resident of Tetevikope, a suburb of Keta, told the Ghana News Agency (GNA), in an interview that the support fund was designed to ensure that the children of the victims receive the necessary support to continue their education and live a stable life.
“According to what l have heard, the fund will cover medical insurance and specialised care when needed, as well as essential living expenses like clothing, shelter, food, among others for the victims’ family,” she said.
She commended Stanbic Bank for partnering with President Mahama’s initiative with contribution of an initial GH₵500,000 to the fund and described the gesture as a commitment to giving back to the community and supporting vulnerable individuals.
Mr. Kwame Tsey, another resident, said that President Mahama has assured that his office would ensure the fund is sustained for the long term, with annual public reporting on how it would be used.
“The president pledged to create channels for contributions from citizens, corporate organisations, professional associations, and international partners.”
He said that the support fund was expected to have a significant impact on the various communities, particularly where the families of the victims lived and it would provide them with financial relief and ensure that the children receive the necessary support to achieve their full potential.
Many others also believed that the support fund for the children of helicopter crash victims would be a sign of respect and solidarity as well as alleviate the financial burden on the bereaved family in difficult time of nurturing the children.
Other information GNA also gathered revealed that the fund has so far accrued over GH₵ 2 million from various institutions while many support were expected from individual, philanthropists and companies in and around Ghana.
Eight gallant Ghanaians-Dr. Edward Omane Boamah, Minister of Defense; Dr. Ibrahim Murtala Muhammad, Minister of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation; Alhaji Mohammed Muniru Limuna, Action Deputy National Security Coordinator; Dr. Samuel Sarpong, Vice Chairman of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) and former Ashanti Regional Minister; Squadron Leader Peter Bafemi Anala, Flying Officer Mane-Twum Ampadu and Sergeant Ernest Addo Mensah, Engineer perished in the August 6, 2025 disaster.
The president has further pledged that his office would sustain the children fund in the long term with annual public report on how it would be utilised.
GNA
Edited by Maxwell Awumah/Benjamin Mensa