By Philip Tengzu
Wa (UW/R), Aug. 12, GNA – The Upper West Regional Police Command has busted a suspected armed robbery cartel operating in the Upper West Region and arrested six suspected members of the syndicate while two suspects are at large.
One of the suspects had been reported to have died at the Upper West Regional Hospital after sustaining injuries during the operation.
The Police said the deceased was suspected to have sustained injuries when he struggled with the Police and fell off a motorbike, while he was being transported to a vehicle that was to convey him to the Police Station.
A statement issued by Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Mr Francis Yiribaare, the Upper West Regional Police Commander, said his remains had since been deposited at the hospital mortuary for preservation and autopsy.
The suspects were Amadu Moro, 35; Adama Yussif, 40; Idrissu Adama, 35; Korika Issaka, 20; Zakaria Brigi, 21; and Nasiru Abdul Rahman, 52, the deceased suspect.
The Police said five suspects were arrested Saturday, August 8, 2026, while Nasiru Abdul Rahman, 52, now deceased, was arrested on Monday, August 10, 2026.
The statement said the arrests followed months of intelligence-led and coordinated operations by the Command, in response to an emerging pattern of armed robbery incidents in the two areas.
“The operation followed an emerging trend of armed robbery incidents in which victims were attacked, wounded with machetes and forced to disclose their Mobile Money (MoMo) Personal Identification Numbers (PINs), which were then used to transfer money from their accounts to the robbers’ MoMo accounts”, it explained.
The statement indicated that preliminary investigations had linked Adama Yussif, Amadu Moro and Nasiru Abdul Rahman, now deceased, to several robbery incidents.
These included robbery incidents at Kpenateng Junction on August 1, 2026, Kulkpara-Dapoha on June 19, 2026, Kpenateng Community on June 15 and May 23, 2026, and Piisi-Dapoha on March 27, 2026.
The Police said investigations had so far established that about GH¢22,070 in cash was robbed from victims, while an additional GH¢3,274 was allegedly siphoned through their MoMo accounts.
Also, the statement said seven mobile phones had been retrieved from the suspects and were being subjected to further examination as part of the ongoing investigations.
Meanwhile, two other suspects believed to be connected to the syndicate were at large as the Police intensify efforts to apprehend them.
They were Haruna, 30, who the Police identified as the alleged armorer of the gang, and Amadu Mahamudu, 24, the son of the deceased suspect.
“The Upper West Regional Command urges residents, particularly those in communities affected by recent robbery incidents, to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious persons, movements and activities to the Police”, the statement said.
The Command also urged the public to provide credible information that could assist in arresting the two wanted suspects and preventing further crimes.
GNA
Edited by Christabel Addo
Reporter: Philip Tengzu
Email: [email protected]