London, Aug 17. (PA Media/dpa/GNA) – British Prime Minister, Andy Burnham, exchanged messages with someone impersonating US President Donald Trump’s chief of staff, it has emerged.
Burnham was in contact with an unknown individual, pretending to be top White House aide Susie Wiles, before he became suspicious of the activity, it is understood.
Sources said a few messages of no significance were sent, and the incident was quickly reported to the appropriate authorities.
A UK government spokesperson said, “We do not comment on national security matters.” The British embassy in Washington was so concerned it raised the matter with the White House, two officials told Politico, which first reported the exchange.
Later on Monday, a White House official told the outlet: “This incident has nothing to do with the chief of staff’s devices being hacked.”
Trump later appeared not to be aware of the incident, saying to reporters at the White House about Burnham: “I’m sure that he had a miscommunication.”
Last year, The Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI had launched an investigation into efforts to access Wiles’ phone, after an unknown person contacted prominent Republicans and business chiefs, while pretending to be her.
It is unclear when the messages were sent and what was discussed between Burnham, who succeeded Keir Starmer as UK prime minister on July 20, and the impersonator.
Burnham’s office declined to say whether any measures would be taken to prevent a similar breach happening in future, as it faced questions from journalists about the incident on Monday.
Politico later reported that it had found the personal mobile phone numbers of three Cabinet ministers published online alongside their names.
A government spokesperson said: “The government has robust procedures in place to ensure the security of sensitive information.”
GNA