By Opesika Tetteh Puplampu
Sege, Aug. 17, GNA – A dispute over a 0.41-acre parcel of land at Sege in the Ada West District has pitted the district assembly against a former District Chief Executive (DCE), with the assembly seeking to reclaim the site for a proposed fire station.
The land, located behind the Ada West District Assembly offices near the Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA) offices along the Sege-Battor Road, is currently occupied by a block-making business belonging to Mr Sampson Tetteh Kpankpah, a former DCE of the district.
The current DCE, Mr Modjifa Tanihu Jerry John Foreigner Mills-Nkrumah, said the assembly had earmarked the land for the proposed fire station and had directed Mr Kpankpah to vacate the site.
Mr Kpankpah, however, disputed the assembly’s claim, saying he acquired the land from the traditional landowners through a deed of conveyance executed in 2018.
In a notice dated June 9, 2026, sighted by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the assembly stated that the site had been designated for the construction of a fire station to improve emergency response and reduce fire risks in the district.
It directed Mr Kpankpah to vacate the land and remove all structures, equipment and personal belongings within 30 days.
A subsequent reminder instructed him to vacate the site by August 28, 2026, and warned that failure to comply could compel the assembly to take the necessary administrative and legal steps to secure the land.
Mr Mills-Nkrumah told the GNA that the assembly remained committed to securing the site for the project.
He alleged that Mr Kpankpah had verbally attacked an assembly officer and threatened individuals who attempted to interfere with the property.
The DCE further alleged that the former DCE contacted members of his family and threatened him, prompting him to report the matter to the Police and National Security.
“He even called my family members asking them to warn me, else he would make sure I don’t exist in Sege, so I reported him to the Police and National Security,” he said.
Mr Kpankpah, however, rejected allegations that he was unlawfully occupying government land.
He said the land had historically been made available by elders of the Lomobiawe Clan for government purposes but argued that the State had not completed the legal acquisition process.
“I have an indenture that proves that I acquired the land from the landowners,” he said.
Documents shown to the GNA included a deed of conveyance dated October 10, 2018, between the Lomobiawe Divisional Council, represented by family heads, and Mr Kpankpah.
The deed indicated that a portion of land at Sege, measuring approximately 0.41 acre, was conveyed to him for GH¢10,000.
Mr Kpankpah said he had invested substantially in the block-making business and would defend his interest through lawful means.
“I will not sit aloof and watch them destroy the over 25,000 pieces of blocks and 1,500 bags of cement on the land,” he said.
He challenged the assembly to produce documents proving ownership of the specific parcel, arguing that if the assembly believed the land belonged to the State, it should seek redress through the courts.
The competing claims have left the ownership status of the parcel unresolved.
While the assembly maintains that the land is required for the proposed fire station, Mr Kpankpah insists that he lawfully acquired it from the customary landowners.
GNA
Edited by Laudia Anyorkor Nunoo/Lydia Kukua Asamoah
Reporter: Opesika Tetteh Puplampu