Mahama extends his condolences to families of Ghanaian victims of Burkina Faso terrorist attack  

By Iddi Yire, GNA  

Accra, Feb. 17, GNA – President John Dramani Mahama has extended his condolences to the families of Ghanaian victims of Sunday’s terrorists attack in a village in Burkina Faso. 

He made the remarks when he officially opened the Ghana Tree Crops Investment Summit 2026 in Accra. 

“We live in a dangerous region, and a recent incident has shown what a threat of instability and security is to our regional integration and trade. As has been the tradition over decades, we trade amongst ourselves,” he said. 

He said agricultural products from Ghana were traded into Burkina Faso, and similar products from Burkina Faso, such as onions, tomatoes, were traded into Ghana.  

“Recently, some traders from Ghana went to Burkina Faso to buy tomatoes and they were ambushed in a village where they were transacting and armed insurgents, terrorist armed groups attacked. Unfortunately, we lost a number of our compatriots. Happily, there are a few survivors,” the President said. 

He said that the Ghana Army was arranging to medivac them from Burkina Faso so that those who were injured can continue to receive treatments here in Ghana.  

President Mahama said on behalf of governments and people, expressed condolences to the families and those who were either killed or had been injured. 

GNA 

Edited by Christabel Addo