Security Committee adopts measures to control armed robbery on Sunyani-Atronie stretch

By Dennis Peprah

Sunyani, June 16, GNA-Mr Vincent Antwi Agyei, the Sunyani Municipal Chief Executive, on Monday said the Sunyani Municipal Security Committee (MUSEC) was adopting measures to control armed robbery incidents on the Sunyani-Atronie highway.

The MCE’s assurance was in response to an armed robbery incident on the highway last Friday June 13 when the robbers shot and killed one person, and caused injuries to many other passengers.

A statement issued by the Assembly and signed by Mr Agyei expressed condolence to the bereaved family and wished the other victims speedy recovery.

“Following the tragic incident, the Bono Regional Police Command, in close collaboration with the Sunyani Divisional and Municipal Police Commands have intensified security measures along affected stretch and other vulnerable areas”, a copy of the statement made available to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Sunyani said.

It said additional patrol vans and surveillance motorbikes had been deployed to ensure enhanced visibility and rapid response to “any threats”, and urged residents to remain calm and cooperate fully with the security agencies as investigations continued.

The statement indicated that: “proactive measures are being implemented to safeguard lives and property”, reassuring that “as earlier stated by his excellency John Dramani Mahama, during his thank you tour in Sunyani, the reconstruction of the Atronie-Sunyani Road remains a top priority”.

It said: “This administration is committed to seeing that the road is fixed with urgency”.

GNA

Edited by Dennis Peprah/Christian Akorlie