By James Amoh Junior
Accra, May 21, GNA – The first group of Ghanaians evacuated from South Africa following renewed xenophobic attacks is expected in Accra on Thursday.
The evacuees will arrive aboard a chartered flight from Johannesburg after President John Dramani Mahama approved the evacuation of 300 distressed nationals registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria.
Mr Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, Minister of Foreign Affairs, said Government had instituted a support package to facilitate reintegration.
“Each of the evacuees will receive a welcome home financial package, transportation assistance to their various destinations across Ghana, reintegration allowance, free psychological support and entry into a special database for jobs and startup opportunities,” he said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said reception arrangements had been completed at Kotoka International Airport, where immigration, health and social welfare officials would receive the returnees.
Mr Benjamin Quarshie, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, said the Mission was in contact with local authorities and security agencies to monitor developments and facilitate the evacuation.
He noted that South African officials had expressed regret over the incidents and assured Ghana of measures to protect foreign nationals.
The evacuation follows the repatriation of Mr Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian national who returned on May 5 after alleged xenophobic harassment in South Africa.
Businessman Mr Ibrahim Mahama subsequently donated GH¢200,000 to support him and pledged to establish a cement distribution depot to rebuild his livelihood.
Mr Ablakwa, speaking at a Ghana-Sierra Leone Permanent Joint Commission for Cooperation meeting in Accra, urged African countries to uphold continental solidarity.
GNA
Edited by Kenneth Sackey
Reporter: James Amoh Junior – [email protected]