Ghana activates Ebola precautionary measures 

By Samira Larbie, GNA 

Accra, May 20, GNA – The Ministry of Health says Ghana has not recorded any suspected or confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease despite outbreaks in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. 

A statement issued by the Ministry said updates from the World Health Organization and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention had confirmed suspected and confirmed Ebola cases in the two countries. 

The Ministry said it had, in collaboration with international health partners, activated precautionary measures nationwide to strengthen the country’s preparedness and response systems. 

It said the measures included enhanced surveillance and screening at airports, seaports and land borders, as well as increased monitoring of travellers arriving from affected countries. 

The statement said health workers were being trained and equipped to identify, isolate and manage suspected cases safely, while public health emergency coordination and rapid response systems had been activated. 

It said public education, risk communication and community awareness activities had also been intensified to keep citizens informed about the disease and preventive measures. 

The Ministry described Ebola Virus Disease as a severe viral illness spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected persons or contaminated materials and surfaces. 

It said symptoms included fever, weakness, headache, vomiting, diarrhoea and, in severe cases, bleeding. 

The statement urged the public to remain calm and observe preventive measures, including regular handwashing with soap under running water or the use of alcohol-based hand sanitisers. 

It also advised the public to avoid direct contact with bodily fluids of sick persons, avoid handling dead bodies without appropriate protection, and refrain from handling or eating sick or dead wild animals. 

The Ministry further urged the public to ensure that all meat was properly handled and thoroughly cooked before consumption and to report suspected symptoms immediately to the nearest health facility. 

The statement cautioned against the spread of misinformation and advised the public to rely only on official updates from the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service. 

It reaffirmed the commitment of the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service to protecting the health and safety of all persons in Ghana and said authorities would continue to monitor the situation closely. 

GNA 

Edited by Kenneth Sackey  

Reporter: Samira Larbie 
[email protected]