By Eric Appah Marfo
Accra, Feb. 18, GNA – The Board of Directors of the Ghana Airports Company Limited (GACL) has expressed satisfaction with progress on the new Hajj Village project after inspecting the site on Monday.
Mr James Agalga, Board Chairman, who led the visit, said the Board was “very excited” and encouraged by the quality of work executed so far.
He expressed confidence that the facility would be completed within the projected timelines, although the project was slightly behind schedule.
Mr Agalga said the Hajj Village was designed to enhance facilities for Muslim pilgrims and ensure year-round commercial viability.
He commended President John Dramani Mahama for sustaining the project, although it was initiated by the previous administration.
“The constitution enjoins us to treat government as a continuum. It’s sad that in the past, very wonderful projects initiated were abandoned.
“But this government has made it very clear that they will not abandon projects started by the previous government, and especially when those projects sit well with overall government policy.
“President Mahama has the Muslim fraternity at heart, which is why he ensured that this particular project was never abandoned,” he said.
Mr Agalga said the facility would comprise a terminal building, residential and hostel facilities, a 300-capacity mosque, a clinic, conference and commercial spaces, recreational areas, parking bays and access roads.
He explained that the project was being executed under a land-swap arrangement and that GACL was not expending public funds on the development.
The Board Chairman said the commercial components of the facility would generate revenue to support other airport infrastructure projects.
He commended the contractor for the progress made and said the Board would brief the sector minister and the President on the status of work.
Reverend Solomon Abijah, Director of Projects, Engineering and Construction at Mawums Limited, the contractor, said work had progressed steadily since the sod-cutting in February 2025.
He said the residential block was about 60 per cent complete, the terminal building 55 per cent complete and the mosque about 50 per cent complete, with other structures recording similar levels of progress.
Rev. Abijah said although the project experienced initial delays due to discussions on master plan approval, the company was working around the clock to accelerate progress.
He assured that the delay would not result in additional cost implications and that a revised programme would be submitted to align with the completion target.
“We are confident that by the end of this year, the Hajj Village will be ready for use, and the next Hajj pilgrimage will depart from this new site,” he said.
GNA
Edited by Kenneth Sackey